Photo circa 1910
Martin and Rosina Guenthner tend to the many flowers and vegetables growing at "The Garden".
Type your paragraph here.
Blue Acre Gardens
We've been growing since the 1880's - Over 140 Years!
The greenhouse first got it's start in the 1880's when Martin and Rosina Guenthner operated "The Garden" in Piqua, Ohio. Here they grew vegetables and flowers in glass covered hot beds and greenhouses. "The Garden" was located right next to the cemetery since iceboxes and the horse and buggy were the only means of transporting fresh flowers. In the 1920's, Charles Guenthner expanded the cut flower business and began shipping them by train to wholesale houses in major cities, specializing in Delphiniums and Gypsophila which were propagated by cleft grafting.
In 1948, David Guenthner began "Blue Acre Gardens", naming it after the fields of blue Delphinium flowers. From the 1960's to the 1980's the greenhouse specialized in the production of Gypsophila field liners for the cut flower industry. As that market slowly went overseas, Mark Guenthner began expanding the production of wholesale perennials and most recently added our new retail greenhouse offering flowering annuals, perennials, vegetables, and herbs.